Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Neighbor, isn't it too cold this weekend fpr a wax job, unless your garage is well heated!

It's raining right now (Saturday morning), too.

Regards,

Maugham

PS Just saw a few snowflakes and the temp dropped below freezing...

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 03-09-2002).]

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for regarding Zaino. It seemed like this guy did a pretty objective test comparing the two waxes. You know, I've read all the posts about stating how great Zaino is, but I wanted a little more convincing than reading comments like "I love it" .

I don't want to offend the Zaino fans, because I'm sure it is an excellent product. I just didn't want to spend the money and time and then have to convince myself that it "looks" better than a traditional premium car wax. Plus I wasn't too excited about the multiple waxing requirements---especially with the surface area of a minivan. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for regarding Zaino. It seemed like this guy did a pretty objective test comparing the two waxes. You know, I've read all the posts about stating how great Zaino is, but I wanted a little more convincing than reading comments like "I love it" .

I don't want to offend the Zaino fans, because I'm sure it is an excellent product. I just didn't want to spend the money and time and then have to convince myself that it "looks" better than a traditional premium car wax. Plus I wasn't too excited about the multiple waxing requirements---especially with the surface area of a minivan. Just my opinion.
</font>
No problem. No offense at all!
I think the conclusions he reached were correct, but the two not addressed were color and durability.

My color sense isn't good enough to even be able to take a guess about the color issue, but I'm convinced that the Z lasts a lot longer than Gold Class.

I used to use Gold Class and was very happy with the shine and the beading, but after one or two washes the change in the "just waxed" look was very noticable. Then, if I reapplied it, the increase in shine was pronounced. But, with the Zaino, I've been able to have the finish maintain the same look as when I first applied it many months after. The finish seems to lose some of the silky smoothness it has when fresh, but it still maintains the other qualities.

One other HUGE benefit from the Zaino that probably makes it worth the price of admission, at least to me, is NO dust built up in cracks and crevices after wiping it off. I sometimes used to have to rinse the car once after applying GC just to get the dust off and spend another half hour with a tooth brush getting the GC out of emblems, key bezels, etc. No more.

One other point: I've heard lots of complaints about slow drying time with the Zaino, but have applied it many times in a 40-50 degree, heated, but damp garage during this and last winter and not run into the problem. If there are serious drying problems, I would guess there's too much being applied. Very thin coats should be used, which also has the side benefit of lowering the cost considerably and also making the job much easier.

I do agree with the conclusions of his tests, though. It'll be interesting to hear any comments other from users.

------------------
Chuck K,
Self-elected President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and one and only member of the, now official, Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 03-09-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Very interesting...
This guy's test seems to confirm some of my subjective feelings I had switching from Meguiar's to Zaino on my black Accord. (comments in another thread...)

But.. I must say that going through this winter, I have to agree with Chuck. I think this finish is alot more durable than the Meguiar's system, while achieving results that are almost as good.

Top that off with the fact it is MUCH easier to apply/remove, I'm still a convert until I find something better. And with ZFX, no wait!!

Besides, that stuff just smells so darn good, it makes it a pleasure to work with!

Like always, to each their own. You gotta do what works for you!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Chuck,
Thanks for your input. I haven't ruled-out Zaino completely, but some more questions. Does Zaino leave residue on unpainted, black moulding? I have an Accord with black door moulding and I hate having to cut in around them to avoid getting the wax residue.

Also, just to confirm, is Zaino fairly easy to remove after it dries? Or does it require a lot of buffing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Jeff

·
Registered
331 Posts
voyager - Zaino will leave a residue on textured black mouldings (like waxes) but not on smooth black plastic. I use it on the black window trim, but not on the spoiler or roof rack.

As for removing it, it is so easy. Let it dry and you literally lightly rub your towel over the finish to buff it out. No hard rubbing to contend with.

Although I put a coat of Z on each vehicle about every other week in the summer, it takes so little time as opposed to the all day chore it was to maintain a traditonal wax finish every 6-8 weeks. I can wash and Z both the Ody and the Accord in about 2-3 hours.

------------------
00 EX - Taffeta White
MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just tried Zaino for the first time on our Odyssey last Friday. I allotted the whole day, as it is a big vehicle and I was doing the whole wash, clay, rinse, wax, blah, blah, blah, thing.

First, claying a relatively new vehicle went extremely quick. I did my 8 year old truck the week before, and it took a lot longer (and is smaller).

I still haven't mastered the thin coats of Zaino yet, so I know I'm wasting product. It still didn't take long to put on, but I had to wait a while for drying as I put on too much. Results look good, but I'm waiting to see the longevity before I give it a thumbs up.

Sal Zaino is great to deal with, he will answer any questions (no matter how basic) almost immediately. He even had me call him up and talk, and he answered the phone himself.

I read the review you included some time back. I was using Meguiars Gold Class, and wasn't impressed with the durability, and don't have time to wax every week, so I discounted it some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Maugham!
My garage is not heated. I should've check the prognosis. I found that Zaino review site and I thought I place that link here for everybody. I'm gonna try Zaino anyway as soon as it gets warmer!
Instead, I had my dealer(O'Hare Honda) change oil for the first time on our Ody, and man, now I have to find something that will clean those huge oil spots from my garage floor, but that story goes to Dealer Stories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts