Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya folks,

I ran out of the Meguiar's wax I've always used for my miata, so time to get some more.

Well, I remembered reading a breakdown of wax performance/ratings from Consumer Reports when I was shopping for my truck. Funny how Meguiars and Mother's were avg/below avg. Top rated was Zymol.

When I went to costco this weekend, I found it. Cost was about $15 for two bottles vs. $13 for one at a local auto store.

It was much much easier to apply and buff out than any wax I've used so far. And with a ton of surface area on the ody, this was a welcome relief. Buffed out finish is smooth and shiny.

I had heard folks swearing by this wax. Now, I guess I know why. Very pleased with this product. Thumbs up!

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience with the product you purchased. Unfortunately, what you used was not the same paste type Zymol sold in automotive speciality stores for about $40 a can, but what some of us refer to as Turtlemol, a product made by Turtlewax using a license from Zymol. I too love Zymol for for its deep shine and ease of application, but find it lacking in one important category, durability. It simply doesn't last more than a couple of months. For a show car, that's fine, for a daily driver, maybe not so good. One Grand's Blitz Wax provides a finish almost as deep as Zymol, but lasts much longer. Its also much cheaper. If you cannot find it locally, check out http://www.carcarespecialties.com/

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
138 Posts
Errol,

I'm glad to read your post about the Zymol. I was at Costco two days ago and bought it. I just bought an accord and happened to park next to an accord with the same color as mine (eternal blue pearl) and his car was so shiny and it had that wet look. He said he uses Zymol wax. I'm not planning to wax the accord yet, but I'll be using it on my Ody soon.

My questions:
1) Did you use a buffer or did you buff by hand?
2) Did you add water when applied to "set" the wax as indicated on the directions?
3) Would you happen to know which month of Consumer Report magazine had the article on Zymol?

I've been using Wax Shop for years. Perhaps, it's time to switch to Zymol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi malakilaki,

No electric buffer used. Only hand buff. it comes off effortlessly. I thought Mother's wax came off easily. This wax comes off much easier. And even with tons of surface area on the ody, your arm won't fall off after you're done.

It was dusk already when I finished the van including vacuuming the interior, cleaning interior surfaces, and doing the tires/wheels, so I didn't get to do the "add water" procedure. Sounds like the same procedure recommended for shining dress shoes.

I don't remember the issue date but it was at our local library in Nov/Dec when I was still shopping for my truck. The review on a number of exotics and common waxes was near the back of the magazine.

r,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
138 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
... I didn't get to do the "add water" procedure. Sounds like the same procedure recommended for shining dress shoes.

</font>
Would that be the spit shine finish?

Thanks for the info. I'll be waxing the Ody as soon as it warms up. It's currently raining in southern California.

·
Registered
104 Posts
errol,
I just used the zymol from costco yesterday. 2 coats and a spit shine! It looks great and was very easy to use. Very happy with the finish. How did this hold up on your van? I'm wondering about the durability. Did you ever try the One Grand Blitz Wax? If so, comments please. Thanks.
TonyB

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just used zymol (the cleaner wax - which to my color blind eye I would call turqoise) for the first time on my chianti red pearl CR-V. My paint had quite a few swirl marks in it from the dealer 'prep'. My fear in taking it back to the dealer is that they would only make it worse - so I gave the zymol a shot since it claimed to remove swirl marks and minor imperfections, and based on the posts here.

I found it that it goes on pretty easy, although I think slightly dampening your applicator rag will probably make it even easier, and make the wax go further - it seems to get sucked up into the rag quickly. On removal, I did some sections dry, and others wet as they suggest. The wet sections definitely came out more even - the waxed sections were noticeably darker than the unwaxed sections, and uneveness in removal shows up as a little splotchy in terms of color. So, next time, I'll have water spray bottle in hand for removal.

So far, the swirl marks appear quite a bit reduced - I don't know whether they are just filled in, or if they have had their edges smoothed away - time will tell as the wax wears away.

Haven't tried it on our silver Ody yet - one thing is for sure - silver is way more forgiving in terms of seeing surface defects than that dark red. I might be inclined to just go with a straight wax - no cleaner on the Ody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts