Honda Odyssey Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixed!! Had the exact same problem with my 2018 Odyssey EX but I didn't think it was a transmission problem rather a TPS or Throttle Position Sensor problem. To cut story short I reset and reprogrammed the TPS and here's what I did:

1. Removed the negative terminal of the battery for 10 mins. this will reset the TPS.

2. Reconnect the battery, turn on engine and turned off everything incl AC, RADIO ETC...Drove around for 5-to10 mins then parked and turned off engine to save data (note: during this 1st drive i already did not feel any hesitation on stop and go)

3. Drive the van again and this time with radio and AC ON. I drove for good 15 mins and van felt really good and responsive! Good luck! Hope this helps.

** When driving around, drive in a normal fashion and do not floor the pedal since you are reprograming the TPS ..drive around the block with lotsa stop and go.

4. Get a Beer! :)
Thanks for this, i will try it. I have the EXACT same thing @lilfish has pointed out. I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey, thank GD I leased it like with all other cars, and I was very happy with it until today when this happened. It took me a good few hours to find this thread that spoke about it. Sounds like from the post above that you simply REBOOTED the computer :) Usually solves many things, but i would think its not the same issue @lilfish was facing before he solved his car, nor the one I am facing, if the dealer had the car, there is no doubt they tried this simple method, no?

Anyhow, it just happen to be that my daughter just got her license and decided to go for a 2 hour drive calling me in the middle telling me about this for the first time, we have 9K miles on the car and purchased it in late 2019 (leased it). I am very disappointed with Honda. I would sell it, but i dont want someone else having the issue i am having, its not fair to them, so I am going to try the above method and hope it works. Honda having a car that the gas pedal when pressed does not seem to give gas to the engine is a scary thing and should be JUMPED ONTO by Honda.

When lease is over, i am going to try Toyota, but honestly, i think this new technology is just bound to have issues here and there.....

Out +++

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks for this, i will try it. I have the EXACT same thing @lilfish has pointed out.
Thanks for updating this thread with your experience. Even though I sold mine, I've very interested to see if Honda will release a fix because we may get a van again in the future, and I want to know if Odyssey will be an option by that time or not. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey EX Diamond Pearl White
4 Posts
Thanks for this, i will try it. I have the EXACT same thing @lilfish has pointed out. I have a 2020 Honda Odyssey, thank GD I leased it like with all other cars, and I was very happy with it until today when this happened. It took me a good few hours to find this thread that spoke about it. Sounds like from the post above that you simply REBOOTED the computer :) Usually solves many things, but i would think its not the same issue @lilfish was facing before he solved his car, nor the one I am facing, if the dealer had the car, there is no doubt they tried this simple method, no?

Anyhow, it just happen to be that my daughter just got her license and decided to go for a 2 hour drive calling me in the middle telling me about this for the first time, we have 9K miles on the car and purchased it in late 2019 (leased it). I am very disappointed with Honda. I would sell it, but i dont want someone else having the issue i am having, its not fair to them, so I am going to try the above method and hope it works. Honda having a car that the gas pedal when pressed does not seem to give gas to the engine is a scary thing and should be JUMPED ONTO by Honda.

When lease is over, i am going to try Toyota, but honestly, i think this new technology is just bound to have issues here and there.....

Out +++
Just an update, it jas been almost 2 weeks since I did the reset and so far I haven't had any issues yet, in fact it feels like its getting better everyday as I drive, not sure how it works but maybe because its srill learning or programming how we drive. I actually had to reschedule my 1st service appt with the dealer since they cant find anything...i have another service sked next week and ill keep you posted how it goes but if the car drives as good as it is right now, I may need to cancel it again.

Trying to think how it got messed up, the only thing i can think of is the way if you wanna program your Throttle /Idle position, I think the pattern is ..1 Turn on the ACC... 2. after 2-3 secs turn on your engine that will put you on program mode.....now when we work on our car in the garage sometimes we do this patrern by accident...I sometimes just want the ACC on to listen to the radio...then I change my mind and just turn on the engine so I can use the car's Aircondition while cleaning especially the interior....now by doing so I ended up putting the Throttle/Idle position on PROGRAM MODE and I think thats how it get messed up, coz mine started after I detailed my Oddysey... just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed exactly what you describe on my 2018 EXL. It is very startling and that 1 second delay is enough to make cross traffic too close for comfort. Then when it suddenly guns, your passengers think you are driving badly
It's not just with later models with 9 speed transmission. Our 2012 model has done this with its 6 speed transmission for almost all its life. I personally think there is a problem in the accelerator sensor, but have not raised the problem with Honda service locally. I was hoping someone else had the problem and knew of an answer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think for my case instead of reset manually, i got an appointment to perform this TSB 19-124, applicable for 9 speed transmission.

I had the TSB performed for the jerky shifting between 2-3, but the hesitation problem from the original post has become an issue. A BIG issue. Almost got my family and I killed or at minimum severly injured when turning off a side road onto a fairly busy higher speed road in the hill country of Texas.

This van is the worst piece of junk on the market. The infotainment system is terrible. Had the "fix" performed for the static over the radio and still have static over the radio so their fix did not work. Our 2017 Suburban was built and functioned so much better. Looking forward to the chip shortage being over so I can get rid of this Honda junk. I will never buy another Honda. Even my Audi A4 B8.5 with twice the miles is more reliable and safer than this van. Not to mention that both the Suburban and the Audi AC blew this Odyssey's out of the water on hot days.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts