Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
im just going to throw this out there for all to address what ever way they want.. when i cleaned the metal gasket and plenum areas, i used carb cleaner,, not anything abrasive like a wire brush and a rag to dry up any residual liquid. i would think that a wire brush on the gasket or mating surfaces could be detrimental. JMO

pete

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I used a brass brush and screwdriver to clean out the EGR passages along with throttle body cleaner, as well as a 11/32" drill bit to clean the actual port hole down into each of the intake passages. The metal gasket was just sprayed with cleaner and wiped off with an old rag. It came clean easily with hardly any rubbing as long as you let the cleaner sit for a minute or so. I then used the same rag to soak up the oily residue inside the intake itself and clean the mating surface on the intake.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
like i said, JMO,, i figured that you would use some care in how you handled the gasket and mating surfaces.

pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think, for less than 20$, it's better to replace the gasket. Along the gasket edget, there's a "bump ring" which will be flatten under pressure. A reused gasket will not provide good seal without the "bump ring".

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
now that's impressive

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would like to get a consensus about cleaning the intake manifold.
i have read several posts about the use of seafoam and other chemicals and others that do a whole disassembly of the intake manifold.
i can see the chemical approach as being more benificial as it gets all through the system more or less.
i also have a few questions about the use of these chemicals. do they have any affect on the catalytic converter as they go through?
i ask because i removed the top cover plate off my manifold this am as i was curious to see its condition( 04 and 60K miles)i expected a certain degree of dirt but did not expect to see small pools of dark almost oily fluid. i could not determine if it was engine oil but definitly not fuel. would like to know what and where that came from.
anyone?

thanks
pete
Replace the PCV valve & clean the MAP sensor. There is a Youtube video on cleaning a MAP sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
im just going to throw this out there for all to address what ever way they want.. when i cleaned the metal gasket and plenum areas, i used carb cleaner,, not anything abrasive like a wire brush and a rag to dry up any residual liquid. i would think that a wire brush on the gasket or mating surfaces could be detrimental. JMO

pete
I took my 2004 Odyssey [150K miles] to the Honda dealer for their ignition cleaning service. Approx $150. runs like new.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I took my 2004 Odyssey [150K miles] to the Honda dealer for their ignition cleaning service. Approx $150. runs like new.
"ignition cleaning service"
What did that service cleaning entail? Was that a mis-type or?
If you meant "intake cleaning service" do you know what that entailed?
Curious, :eek:
Buffalo4

21 - 30 of 30 Posts