Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Odyssey
7 Posts
On a side note, I asked the Honda mechanic if he could disconnect the alarm so I could get back to work today and he said the since it's factory installed, it's impossible to disconnect it. I'll have to research how to do it myself if needed.
Just a quick comment: I'm not really mechnically-minded at all, and I simply did a youtube search for how to disconnect the hood latch sensor because, just as you reported, the mechanics won't do it for you (and the dealership certainly won't--they told me there's no way to "de-activate the alarm"). Only took me about five minutes and two or three good youtube videos to figure it out. Once it was disconnected, the van still locked. I left it disconnected for many months while I researched the problem and tried to capture the flickering with my cell phone to show my mechanic. Totally worth the five minutes to (temporarily) solve the alarm problem while you decide what to do next! I'd post a youtube link here, but I can't remember which videos I used.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yes, unplugging and jumpering the wire to the hood latch should deactivate the alarm.
I was told this evening by the Honda mechanic that it may be the pistons and it would cost me over $7,000 to fix
This is a common problem with Honda's VCM. There are plenty of articles about "muzzling" the Variable Cylinder Management, in some cases the oil leaking and having to replace piston rings are no longer needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought I'd post an update here:

Recap of the problem: for literally a year, I've had the following symptoms with my 2016 Odyssey (around 80K miles):

- dashboard warning lights (engine light, LDW, FCW, Emissions, and VSA) come on every couple of weeks; the warning lights stay on for anywhere from a few hours to a few days, then go off again. I didn't notice any changes in how the van was driving. When my mechanic pulled the error codes, the info was that there were a ton of codes, and none of the error codes seemed to indicate what was actually wrong.

- car alarm goes off randomly, very frequently (like every two days). (Note: in order to save the neighborhood from this nightmare, and to save me from my neighbors' wrath, I disconnected the hood latch sensor so that the alarm wouldn't arm.)

- when the car is turned off and parked, sometimes randomly I would hear rapid clicking from the dash. Sometimes that clicking would be accompanied by all the dashboard lights flickering on and off for about 30 seconds, repeating that sequence for a few minutes. This is the "poltergeist," "haunted," or "gremlins" effect that others have described.

Attempted (ineffective) fixes: my mechanic pulled the error codes that were stored, and said they were mostly "communication" codes. In the intervening year, I have gotten a new battery (the battery was not the problem; the new battery did nothing to address the problem). My regular mechanic actually didn't believe my description of the problem until I was able to make a video recording of the clicking/flickering on my cell phone. I also took the van to the local Honda dealership's repair shop and paid for their "advanced diagnosis" service, and they told me they couldn't diagnose anything, cleared the error codes, and sent me home (super frustrating!).

This past week, however, my regular mechanic agreed to replace the Smart Entry "Keyless Entry Control Module." So far it's only been 48 hours, but no symptoms (we reconnected the hood latch sensor so the alarm would arm). I will update again after a bit longer.

Funny (frustrating) side note: my mechanic was not able to re-program the new module (the entry on my invoice says "Program keyless actuator module") with my keys, so they ended up having to take my van into the local Honda dealership to get it re-programmed; this whole repair took a full week!

One additional side-note: when I showed my mechanic the cell-phone video I took of the clicking and dash lights so they actually understood the problem, they finally ran a search in their "identifix" mechanic's database. That search turned up two possible repairs: one was the Keyless Entry Control Module; the other (just FYI) was that it could possibly be the solid-state electronics in the driver's side door handle.

Edited to add: it's now been a week and no problems so far. The alarm hasn't gone off, and none of the other symptoms have returned. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.
Thanks so much for the detailed follow up. I'm getting close to having this fix done to my 2016 as well. Just waiting to see if you have any issues since the fix . Apparently t this part costs over 300$ and just wanted to double check if the issue still seems to be resolved. When i called to find the cost they told me they have never ordered one of these in before which has me second guessing. Is a part # available for clarification on this keyless entry module?

·
Registered
2016 Honda Odyssey
7 Posts
Thanks so much for the detailed follow up. I'm getting close to having this fix done to my 2016 as well. Just waiting to see if you have any issues since the fix . Apparently t this part costs over 300$ and just wanted to double check if the issue still seems to be resolved. When i called to find the cost they told me they have never ordered one of these in before which has me second guessing. Is a part # available for clarification on this keyless entry module?
Here are some photos of the old part from my 2016 Odyssey that my mechanic replaced (he gave me the old one). Close-up has the part number visible on it. BTW my mechanic said it's located in a really hard-to-access spot up under the dash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Appreciate your input, got the flickering lights on my 2016 odyssey touring yesterday- the past 2 weeks had the panic alarm going off randomly- changed the battery but still sounded
The electrician detached the hood sensor cable and yesterday the flickering lights started
I detached the battery and not sure if I should go to the dealer or the same electrician

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
After detaching the hood cable Samir, did your electrician jumper the cable? That has to be done in order to deactivate the alarm.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm only addressing deactivating the alarm. This is covered frequently in the 2nd and 3rd generation forums that I follow.
Your electrician doesn't know enough about Hondas. The Honda Dealership will not acknowledge that the alarm can be deactivated. You have to connect a jumper on the disconnected connector so that the two wires are now electrically connected. After doing this, the alarm will think that the hood is always open, and will not activate. You can still lock and unlock your doors as usual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm only addressing deactivating the alarm. This is covered frequently in the 2nd and 3rd generation forums that I follow.
Your electrician doesn't know enough about Hondas. The Honda Dealership will not acknowledge that the alarm can be deactivated. You have to connect a jumper on the disconnected connector so that the two wires are now electrically connected. After doing this, the alarm will think that the hood is always open, and will not activate. You can still lock and unlock your doors as usual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see what you mean Now, thanks for clarifying, I don’t think he does, I took the van earlier today to him and showed him a quick video of what is happening... he suggested going to Honda to get it diagnosed . Obviously good luck getting a quick appointment with the dealer with the lock down due to Covid
Regarding the hood latch I am going to replace and re-connect the cable so nothing is bypassed or not regular

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see what you mean Now, thanks for clarifying, I don’t think he does, I took the van earlier today to him and showed him a quick video of what is happening... he suggested going to Honda to get it diagnosed . Obviously good luck getting a quick appointment with the dealer with the lock down due to Covid
Regarding the hood latch I am going to replace and re-connect the cable so nothing is bypassed or not regular

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update
I replaced the hood latch and attached the cable to the sensor, the alarm went off 30 minutes later along with the flickering dashboard lights.... will have to get the dealer to run the diagnostic check
Wow. So frustrating

·
Registered
2016 Honda Odyssey
7 Posts
Not relevant to you at this point, Samir, since you've gotten your problem fixed, but since others also read this forum, I wanted to post here that you do not have to jumper any of the wires to keep the alarm from activating. All you have to do is disconnect the hood latch sensor (literally take apart one plastic connector). You can leave the two disconnected ends just hanging there. That will prevent the alarm system from "arming" when you lock the van, and thus prevent the alarm from going off at random times until you can address the underlying problem. So you didn't need to worry about the instructions to jumper the connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not relevant to you at this point, Samir, since you've gotten your problem fixed, but since others also read this forum, I wanted to post here that you do not have to jumper any of the wires to keep the alarm from activating. All you have to do is disconnect the hood latch sensor (literally take apart one plastic connector). You can leave the two disconnected ends just hanging there. That will prevent the alarm system from "arming" when you lock the van, and thus prevent the alarm from going off at random times until you can address the underlying problem. So you didn't need to worry about the instructions to jumper the connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Jackie
Thanks for your input in this forum,
I agreed about the jumper the wire, the switch is very straight forward to detach but as you said it should be temporary until the issue is addressed,
I hope other owners benefit from the information provided before wasting time and resources on other fixes
Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this very issue in my 2016 Odyssey SE! I have taken my car to the Honda dealership twice for service and they have failed to fix the problem, but didn’t fail to charge me $1200 for fixes that didn’t work.

First, they said I needed a new battery and batter sensor. The issue returned immediately. Second time in, they got some error codes and replaced the remote sensor box (I believe). Started up again immediately.

I’m waiting to hear their solution.

I’ve noticed that the alarm will sound at random, whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. I have left the car in my garage with the backsliding door open (and lights off) several times to prevent annoying the neighbors with the alarm.

I have a video of the flickering/clicking, but I’m struggling to upload it from my phone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having this very issue in my 2016 Odyssey SE! I have taken my car to the Honda dealership twice for service and they have failed to fix the problem, but didn’t fail to charge me $1200 for fixes that didn’t work.

First, they said I needed a new battery and batter sensor. The issue returned immediately. Second time in, they got some error codes and replaced the remote sensor box (I believe). Started up again immediately.

I’m waiting to hear their solution.

I’ve noticed that the alarm will sound at random, whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked. I have left the car in my garage with the backsliding door open (and lights off) several times to prevent annoying the neighbors with the alarm.

I have a video of the flickering/clicking, but I’m struggling to upload it from my phone.
Sorry to hear that the dealer did not figure it out till now,
The Body control module seems to be the issue
You can print Jackie’s pictures and show them to the dealer
To deactivate the alarm the easiest way is to detach the hood lock cable, A temporary solution!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are some photos of the old part from my 2016 Odyssey that my mechanic replaced (he gave me the old one). Close-up has the part number visible on it. BTW my mechanic said it's located in a really hard-to-access spot up under the dash.

View attachment 161366 View attachment 161367
Hey Jackie,

I'm experiencing the same issues with my 2016. Have your issues resurfaced after replacing keyless entry module? Also just to confirm, did you replace the body control module as well? I was able to pull the check engine code, P1607, stating it was a PCM malfunction.

Dealership has giving me the runaround and wants to see the issue for themselves before they act on it, been there twice and they can't replicate the issue. My luck is it always happens on the weekend or random night and clears itself.

Thank you for the information you've provided so far!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts