41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Odyssey
7 Posts
Sorry to hear that the dealer did not figure it out till now,
The Body control module seems to be the issue
You can print Jackie’s pictures and show them to the dealer
To deactivate the alarm the easiest way is to detach the hood lock cable, A temporary solution!!!
To clarify: the part I had replaced was the "Keyless Entry Control Module." Part numbers on the photos that I shared in a previous post on this thread.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Odyssey
7 Posts
Hey Jackie,

I'm experiencing the same issues with my 2016. Have your issues resurfaced after replacing keyless entry module? Also just to confirm, did you replace the body control module as well? I was able to pull the check engine code, P1607, stating it was a PCM malfunction.

Dealership has giving me the runaround and wants to see the issue for themselves before they act on it, been there twice and they can't replicate the issue. My luck is it always happens on the weekend or random night and clears itself.

Thank you for the information you've provided so far!
Hi there -

Quick answers here: it's been well over a month, and none of the symptoms have returned. Obviously I can't say if your Odyssey has the exact same problem, but prior to getting this fixed, my alarm would go off randomly about every 2 days; the clicking/flickering was pretty common; and the full set of warning lights would come on at least once a week and stay on for a day or two. So I'm fairly confident that my problem is fixed.

The only thing I had replaced was the "keyless entry control module" (photos with part number in a previous post on this thread).

During the year(!) that I was trying to get this diagnosed, one of the (many) things my mechanic had suggested early on was they could try replacing the powertrain control module (PCM), based on the error codes. I said no to that and did not replace it. My mechanic told me that there were all sorts of inconsistent error codes, and it seemed like he was just grasping at straws at that point to make some sort of suggestion.

Also, getting some cell-phone video of the flickering/clicking was a huge help in getting my mechanic to really understand the problem. And as I mentioned in a previous post, once he saw that video, he looked up the symptoms in his mechanic's database, which he later told me had a few entries about the Keyless Entry Control Module.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick update. Took it into the dealership last week and lucky enough the issues occurred in front of the mechanic. Day later received a call that the Keyless Entry Control Module needed to be replaced. The part was on back order until today. Good news it was covered by my 3rd party warranty and was given a free rental. I will follow up in a month with an update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick update. Took it into the dealership last week and lucky enough the issues occurred in front of the mechanic. Day later received a call that the Keyless Entry Control Module needed to be replaced. The part was on back order until today. Good news it was covered by my 3rd party warranty and was given a free rental. I will follow up in a month with an update.
Following up from my last post. Have not experienced any of my previous issues since the keyless entry control module was replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following up from my last post. Have not experienced any of my previous issues since the keyless entry control module was replaced.
Thank you so much for detailing the repair. We are currently waiting on a backordered part which I assume is the Keyless Entry Control Module. Fingers crossed it fixes the problem on the Ody we purchased.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s a WRAP!
So I confirmed that the Keyless Entry/Smart Power Control unit was what my dealer had on order although the part number was slightly different from the one in the posted picture. Initially on order with a 2 week eta which then became a 3 week eta which then became a ‘no eta’. Thought perhaps I could find a used unit at a wrecking yard but while calling around and working the internet, came across a number of Honda parts companies to also call, I got lucky and found a new unit at a dealer in California. My dealer jumped on it for me and has now installed it. The Ody is 2016 and had the original battery so I had a new one installed at the same time. So far 2 days and no lights flashing or relays clicking and the fob is working perfectly. Thanks to this forum and some dogged determination, I am finally driving the Ody I purchased 2 months ago. My dealer was VERY generous with loaners, all small cars, my Ody feels like I am driving a tank now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted to chime in here. Recently went thru this with my 2016 EX-L.

I’m not very savvy and probably got taken advantage of but took my odyssey in for service 3 months ago for the alarm going off by itself. We had just relocated from another state 900 miles away and it was our second day here. It went off in the afternoon on a Tuesday. Then again on a Friday. And then again on Tuesday.
I took it to the local dealership because I hadn’t had time to research for an independent mechanics yet, plus I figured it would be best to go directly to honda should there be something major.

Upon initial review they found The battery was low (was replaced last summer) and they also changed out the break fluids, transmission fluid, drive belt because it was either dirty or worn (which is weird because just 3 weeks earlier everything was clean/good per my mechanic). No I did not have pictures to prove either way. That was $2k for everything (we also did wheel alignment and something else I can’t remember).

Anyway - not even a week later the alarm starts going off again and this time clicking and acting all possessed. This was not the issue the first time. (It was just the alarm itself the first time). They actually got to witness the car being possessed in person, so that was good. After another diagnosis they determined the keyless remote control unit had to be replaced. Took a week to get in but it was successfully fixed. For only 2.5 months.

Earlier this week the alarm goes off again. On a Tuesday afternoon. No kidding. No clicking this time but it went off 6 times in 45 min and even if I didn’t lock it (it locked itself then went off). Took it back in.

This time they had another mechanic (master mechanic gold star or whatever) work on it and he determined it was the electrical control unit that had to be replaced. But that everything they had done last time (though he didn’t work on it) was done properly.

I confirmed they had checked the hood latch, alternator, moisture from sun roof, all door sensors, the MICU, fuse box, ground wires, and power window master switch. Everything checked out fine. He was confident that this was IT.

So now it’s a wait and see game. I’m $4k into this vehicle in 3 months. I don’t know if I should take my chances and hang on to it and see if this was it, or trade it in while I can still get a good amount for it. I feel that once you start having electrical problems you never know what is next.

I want to believe they are right with the most recent fix but they also told me everything was good 2.5 months ago. And the incidences can be completely unrelated but the “symptoms” were literally the same this time as the very first time it happened. Just not sure what to do. Or who to trust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, how did they find a keyless remote control, they have been on backorder for months with no date when they will be expected?? I was considering trying to find a used one from a wrecking yard . . . from your description the keyless remote control is the item that needed to be replaced (from our experience), do you suppose it is a defective one? My Ody sat in the dealers lot for 2 months waiting until I took it upon myself to start searching and finally found a new one at a dealer states away from me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, how did they find a keyless remote control, they have been on backorder for months with no date when they will be expected?? I was considering trying to find a used one from a wrecking yard . . . from your description the keyless remote control is the item that needed to be replaced (from our experience), do you suppose it is a defective one? My Ody sat in the dealers lot for 2 months waiting until I took it upon myself to start searching and finally found a new one at a dealer states away from me.
I will pull the paperwork today to very the names of the parts but yes, it only took about a week to get the part. It’s so annoying that at the end of the day it wasn’t just that, it was also the electrical control module. (Again I will get the part names and numbers). I suppose the one can become defective followed by the other. But what’s next? When do I let go? That’s the question

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I checked and The official parts that were replaced were

38330-T2A-A01. Sub relay

38329-TK8-A01 smart power control unit

These weren’t the names they told me over the phone or what’s even listed on the paperwork. I was told the first one was the keyless entry system and the second one was the electronic control module. Maybe that’s their alternate names (?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quick update to my original post which was march of this year. I called the dealership and had them order a new module which took several weeks to arrive. Of course I haven't had an issue with the vehicle in months. But the problem was noticeable in the cooler temperatures, and here in San Diego it's been summer time.

Part replaced: 38320-TK8-A011-1M
Part Installed: 38329-TK8-A01

The part was installed about a week ago so now we can just monitor this for a while in the coming cooler months to see if the issue is gone.

Photo: the old unit along with the packaging of the new unit with part numbers.
Rectangle Font Laptop accessory Wood Computer component

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I’d throw my hat in the ring here as well. Same issue happened to our 2016 SE ody. Cooler temps, flashing lights, car alarms. Took it into the dealership on Friday to have it checked out. Like others had said, the part had been on back order of several months but for some reason they had just gotten one in stock. In and out in two days. Feeling pretty lucky as our warranty covered the repair so it cost us 200 bucks total to fix.

I felt like a crazy person trying to describe the issue to just about anyone. Glad I took videos of the freak outs.

thanks to everyone for posting their experience. Super helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I’d throw my hat in the ring here as well. Same issue happened to our 2016 SE ody. Cooler temps, flashing lights, car alarms. Took it into the dealership on Friday to have it checked out. Like others had said, the part had been on back order of several months but for some reason they had just gotten one in stock. In and out in two days. Feeling pretty lucky as our warranty covered the repair so it cost us 200 bucks total to fix.

I felt like a crazy person trying to describe the issue to just about anyone. Glad I took videos of the freak outs.

thanks to everyone for posting their experience. Super helpful.
Hi, Im glad that I found this post. Is this problem still covered under your factory warranty on the 2016 Honda Odyssey?

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
"Our warranty" and "$200. to fix it" sound like an aftermarket extended warranty with a deductible. Depending on how many miles are on your 2016 and if you have had regular service with your dealer, asking for some good coverage is not out of the question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
like @egads mentioned, it was an aftermarket warranty that was for 100K miles or 5 years after purchase, whichever came sooner for our Ody. we bought ours used, so im not sure if the factory warranty was still in play or not. didnt wait around to find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would like to know how much did they charge you for everything parts, labor etc. What was the final cost to replace the part and reprogram your key fobs. Having the same exact issue with my wife's 2016 odyssey se wondering how much this could possibly set us back. Thanks in advance for the reply.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts